Michelle Woodworth is a Partner in RHTLaw Taylor Wessing's Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice.
Michelle graduated with LL.B (Hons) in 1995 before she was called to the Bar of England & Wales (Middle Temple) in 1996. She was admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 1998 after completing the Postgraduate Practical Law Course in 1997. In 2004, Michelle was admitted as a Legal Practitioner by the Supreme Court of NSW, Australia and in 2005, as a Solicitor & Barrister by the High Court of Australia.
After more than 12 years in private practice with a focus on Matrimonial Law, Michelle served as a District Judge of the Subordinate Courts of Singapore (now the Family Justice Courts) in the Family & Juvenile Justice Division from 2010 to 2012 before joining the Law Society of Singapore, as Director and Head of their Representation and Law Reform Department.
She is a successful Negotiator, Mediator and Litigator with a passion for the welfare of children. Her dedication in Family Law practice enables Michelle to assist husbands, wives and families when marriages break down. She is regarded by her peers as professional, respectful and knowledgeable in her area of practice.
Michelle holds the following appointments:
- IMI Certified Mediator (since 2015), International Mediation Institute (Profile can be viewed here)
- SMI Certified Mediator (since 2016), Singapore International Mediation Institute
- Senior Mediator (since 1 November 2016), Law Society Mediation Scheme
- Collaborative Family Practitioner (since 2013), Singapore Mediation Centre
- Mediator (2010 to 2015), Matrimonial Mediation Scheme, Singapore Mediation Centre
- Mediator (since 2015), Family Panel, Singapore Mediation Centre
- Volunteer Mediator (since 2013), Family Justice Courts
- Court-Appointed Child Representative (since 2014), Family Justice Courts
- Co-Chairperson (from 2016), the Law Society of Singapore’s Family Law Practice Committee (member since 2001, save for Sep 2010 to July 2014)
- Member, the Law Society of Singapore's Civil Practice Committee (since 2015)
- Primary Justice Lawyer (since 2014), Community Justice Centre
- Committee member, Committee for Family Justice, Subcommittee on Profession in 2013
- Working group member, committee drafting the new Professional Conduct Rules under the Legal Profession Act, from 2012 to 2013
- Primary Justice Project working committee member, from inception in 2012 to date
- Participation in the Video Production of Child Court Proceedings in 2009 for the Family Court
- Volunteer at Family Law Legal Clinic
- Tutor for the Preparatory Course Leading to Part B of the Singapore Bar Examinations in Family Law, Ethics and Drafting since 2010
- Speaker, Inaugural International Family Law Conference and Middle Temple Conference
- Judging Panel, First Selection panel for interview to law faculty at SIM University
- Speaker, Legal Practice Skills Development Seminar Series (Family Law) on “Divorce Proceedings in General”, Subordinate Courts on 18 May 2010
- Member, Organising Committee, and co-emcee at the Children & the Law Conference held from 21 May 2009 to 23 May 2009, jointly organised by LawAsia and the Law Society of Singapore
- Speaker, the Law Society of Singapore's Seminar on Cross Border Issues on Children: Parental Abduction and Parental Relocation on 6 November 2008
- Author of chapter on custody, care and control and access of children in a book launched in May 2005 entitled “The Art of Family Lawyering”
- Editor, 2nd edition of “The Art of Family Lawyering” launched in January 2013
- Speaker, the Law Society of Singapore’s Annual CPD Day 2014
- Speaker, Introduction to the International Child Abduction Act, the Law Society’s Family Law Practice Seminars Series 2 on 14 May 2015
- Moderator, Plenary Session, the Law Society’s Mediation Symposium on 20 May 2016
- Speaker, Recent Developments in Law and Practice in the UK and Singapore, 2016
- Speaker, International Family Law Conference 2016, The Future of Family Justice - International and Multi-Disciplinary Pathways
- “Ms Michelle Woodworth is a very professional and knowledgeable lawyer dealing with Family and Child matters in court. These qualities were evident since May 2015 when she helped me fight various legal issues such as a PPO and for child custody. She guided and advised on court proceedings, encouraged and affirmed me in telling my side of the story truthfully. Throughout, she was firm yet encouraging. When the legal tussle extended to the fight for the matrimonial flat, she was able to convince the judge to dismiss the case in my favour. The outcome of having Ms Woodworth represent me is that now I have a future to look forward to. Ms Woodworth is a very experienced lawyer. Furthermore she has a very good team assisting her. They were meticulous and thorough in their work. I will recommend Ms Michelle Woodworth and her team for their professionalism in the area of Family Law. Thank you again Michelle."
- “I found the following salient features of Michelle’s representation worthy of special note. She was able to identify and argue my case under a specific section of the relevant legislation which, until then, no other legal counsel I consulted with had been able to. It was because of that identification that I was able to obtain favourable judgment. She was able to maintain very cordial communication with the Defendant, as a consequence of which the Court Orders were executed swiftly and painlessly. I have kept in touch with Michelle even after five years since the judgment was delivered. This is testimony of how highly I think of her. Throughout this period, I have felt very comfortable approaching Michelle for help on a variety of legal matters in which has either helped, or pointed me in the direction of other counsel who has been as professional and pleasant to work with as her.”
- “Michelle was very patient and did an excellent job of taking me through the process step by step when I was very anxious filing my divorce case. On my hearing days in the court, she asked the very pertinent questions to the opponent party and she defended me with impeccable professionalism without intimidating the opponent. She was pregnant at the early stage of my case and even when she was on her maternity leave, she took care of everything so carefully and delegated some tasks to her well qualified staff. I would strongly recommend her to anyone who needs to go through some issues in a family court. It’s been 5 years now, I am still in touch with her because of that impact she made on my life. Well done Michelle. Please keep up your great service to this society.”
- “I engaged Michelle in October 2014. From the get-go, Michelle and her team made me feel like my case was first priority. I could always get hold of her when I had questions and she also responded, even during weekends and public holidays. From the beginning to the end of my case, around 18 months, their response to my phone calls and emails was prompt. Correspondence from the other side was forwarded to me with detailed comments and advice within a few hours of receipt. Michelle and her team answered my questions with patience even when I asked the same questions. I think I was hoping for a different answer toon the same questions but Michelle was patient and explained thoroughly again. She did not make me feel my questions were insignificant and addressed my concerns. Michelle was always working to minimise stress and strain on me and my children. With her help I was able to maintain a stable home environment for the children and focus at work. At each stage of the divorce proceedings, Michelle thoroughly and clearly explained my options. She took care of everything. All I had to do was decide on which option and appear in court on time. I am very pleased and grateful to Michelle. She really cares for what you are feeling and going through. She was like my best friend who cheered me on when I wanted to give up, was patient with me when I was irrational and defended me when I was bullied. Thanks Michelle!"
- “Michelle was an answered prayer in 2014. I was at a loss then, and needed a good lawyer to represent my children because I had lost my faith in past Singapore lawyers engaged. I have a deep respect for Michelle's professionalism, integrity, personalised service and sincerity. I am grateful for her compassion and trust in my children, for putting my children's and my best interests at heart, for guiding me through a very emotional time, for her dedication in my case (she went all out to help me) and for being my source of strength during the trials. Two applications against me were dismissed in 2014 and 2015 and a police case against me was dropped. She truly represents what a lawyer should be and no doubt an inspiration in the legal profession. Thank you Michelle and God bless."