Monika Lama is the principal of Lama Family Lawyers and has worked exclusively in family law since 2008. She has extensive experience in parenting disputes and financial matters including de facto relationship cases, same-sex relationships and relocation matters. She has a particular focus on complex children's matters involving serious allegations of violence and sexual abuse. Monika has also acted for clients in respect of matters concerning adult child maintenance applications and for grandparents seeking primary care of their grandchildren.
Monika has acted for clients in relation to Family Law financial settlements with connections to India, Italy and Greece. She also has a particular focus on drafting and advising clients on financial agreements including complex multi-million dollar prenuptial agreements, spousal maintenance and child support agreements. She frequently works with counsel, forensic accountants, psychologists, psychiatrists and mediators.
Monika's passion for family law, combined with her frank and mature approach are an asset particularly in identifying key issues in dispute. She encourages mediation where possible and is committed to achieving commercially effective outcomes for all her clients. She provides her clients with timely, honest and frank advice.
- Bachelor of Science (Biomedical Science), University of Wollongong
- Bachelor of Law, University of New England
- Master of Applied Law (Family Law), College of Law
- Admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of NSW
- Admitted to practice in the High Court of Australia
- Graduate Fellow of the College of Law
- The Law Society of New South Wales
- The Law Council of Australia – Family Law Section
- Family Law & Family Rights Section LawAsia
- 2013 Judge for Australian Law Student’s Association (ALSA) client interviewing
- 2014 Article in May edition of Australasian Lawyer
- 2015 Judge for Australian Law Student’s Association (ALSA) client interviewing.
- 2015 Judge for 10th Annual Law Asia International Moot Competition
- 2016 Examiner of briefs for 11th Annual Law Asia International Moot Competition