Tim has degrees in Law and Arts from the Australian National University, Canberra and joined Dobson Mitchell Allport in 1993. He has been admitted to the Supreme Courts of both the Australian Capital Territory and Tasmania. Tim practises in civil litigation and family law.
- Chairman of the International Legal Services Advisory Council
- Chairman of the Centre for Legal Studies Ltd.
- a director of AustLII Foundation Ltd.
- a former President of the Law Council of Australia
- a former President of the Law Society of Tasmania
- a member of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons Appeals Committee
- liaison for the International Section of the American Bar Association with the Law Council of Australia
- a former managing partner of Dobson Mitchell Allport
- a former Chairman of the Fahan School Board of Management
- a trustee of the Allport Bequest