Eliza M Bergin comes to the Bar with 17 years’ experience as a legal professional.
Eliza appears on behalf of clients in all civil and commercial litigation, including administrative law, public law and commercial law.
Eliza has particular expertise in all aspects of planning and environment law. She has advised on a broad array of development proposals for use and development of land including infrastructure projects, transport projects, building disputes, rating disputes and environment issues. Her clients include government authorities and commercial developers.
Eliza managed a complex planning practice for retail, industrial and commercial clients while a Solicitor and Senior Associate in the environment team at King & Wood Mallesons. As a Principal Solicitor, Eliza appeared for government clients in planning and environment disputes before Planning Panels Victoria, the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal and lower Courts.
- Principal Solicitor at the Victorian Government Solicitor’s Office 2010 – 2017
- Solicitor and Senior Associate at King & Wood Mallesons 2004 – 2010
- Legal Officer at the Office of Chief Parliamentary Counsel 2002 – 2004
- Judge’s Associate at the Federal Court of Australia to The Hon Peter RA Gray 2001 – 2002
- Solicitor at Minter Ellison 1999 – 2001
- LLM in Environmental Law (Hons) (Australian National University)
- LLB (Hons) (University of Melbourne)
- BSc (Monash University) (Major in Geography and Environmental Science)
- Chair, Planning & Local Government Committee, Law Institute of Victoria
- Member, Victorian Planning and Environment Law Association
- Secretary, St Kilda Cycling Club Inc
- Volunteer Lawyer and Migration Agent, Refugee and Immigration Legal Centretrading as Refugee Legal