Erin aims to get to know and work closely with clients to ascertain their goals so that she may endeavour to achieve the best possible legal outcome taking into account the commercial risks arising from any suggested course of action. Through working in this way she tries to tailor each client’s experience with the law, and support them through the matter, with the aim to break the perception of many that visiting a solicitor is intimidating. Erin aims to always produce work for each client to an excellent standard in a timely fashion.
From 2003 until 2007, Erin studied at the Australian National University where she was awarded the degrees of Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Laws followed by a Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice with distinction.
Areas of Law
Erin works in the following areas of law at KJB Law.
Estate Planning and Estate Administration
Erin has engaged with clients across a range of backgrounds to provide tailored estate planning advice. This has included the preparation of:
- standard Wills;
- Testamentary Trust Wills;
- General and Enduring Powers of Attorney; and
- Business succession agreements, such as buy / sell agreements, partnership agreements and shareholders agreements.
Erin also advises and assists clients in obtaining Grants of Probate and Letters of Administration in both the ACT and NSW, and subsequently assisted clients with the estate administration. This has included where necessary, dealing with family provision applications, applications to the Court for judicial advice where the interpretation of a Will has been uncertain or there is a question regarding how the estate should be administered.
I have assisted clients in residential and commercial conveyancing matters, and as such have experience in:
- commercial leasing, acting for landlords and tenants;
- conveyancing in the ACT, with respect to residential and commercial properties;
- advising on building contracts; and
- retirement village contracts.
Erin has extensive practical commercial experience in delivering client value across different industries (for example from pharmaceutical to automotive) and through different client structures (e.g. sole trader, partnership, company, trusts). She is a confident drafter of complex contracts which meet the needs of the client, investors and comply with legislative requirements in a commercially viable manner. For example, she has drafted, reviewed and provided advice in relation to the following:
- franchising agreements;
- share sale agreements;
- sale of business agreements in both NSW and the ACT, acting for both sellers and buyers;
- shareholder agreements;
- corporate restructuring arrangements;
- drafting, review and amending company and society charters / constitutions;
- mortgages over real estate;
- mortgages over shares;
- partnership agreements and dissolutions of partnerships;
- joint venture agreements;
- discretionary and unit trusts;
- general legal advising in a commercial environment, including with reference to Territory, State and Federal legislation;
- security agreements under the Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth);
- retirement village agreements for a provider operating in both the ACT and NSW jurisdictions; and
- agreement for services between Government Departments and private sector companies.
Erin is the coauthor and coeditor of the LexisNexis publication “Practical Guidance Module – Succession” for the ACT jurisdiction. This publication contains commentary and precedents in the area of estate planning and administration. This became available on LexisNexis at the beginning of February 2013.