Janine McIlwraith is a principal lawyer in our medical law team based in Melbourne. Admitted to the Supreme Court of NSW in 2001, she has more than 10 years’ experience working on medical negligence compensation claims, she has conducted complex litigation involving birth trauma, serious brain injury, adverse surgical outcomes and delayed cancer diagnosis.
Janine has a particular interest in the law concerning allied health providers and surrogacy law both in Australia and internationally.
In addition to her work with Slater and Gordon, Janine is a regular speaker at medico-legal conferences, has taught medical law at Western Sydney University and is a co-author of four textbooks in the medical law and disability compensation area.
Janine is a member of the firm’s Pro Bono and Legal Profession Committee.
- Medical law focusing on medical and clinical negligence
- Surrogacy law
- The National Disability Insurance Scheme
- McIlwraith and Madden, "Health Care & the Law", 6th edition, Thomson Reuters 2014
- Madden and McIlwraith, "Australian Medical Liability", 2nd edition, LexisNexis Butterworth’s 2013
- Madden, McIlwraith and Brell, "The National Disability Insurance Scheme Handbook", Lexis Nexis 2013
- Iedema & Ors (eds), “Communicating quality and safety in health care”, Cambridge University Press 2015 (contributor).
- Editor, Australian Civil Liability Law (Lexis Nexis)
- 1997 Bachelor of Medical Radiation Science
- 2001 Bachelor of Laws (Honours), University of Wollongong
- 2001 Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Wollongong
- 2005 Master of Laws, Sydney University