Kate Williams is the Practice Group Leader in Medical Law, Sydney.
Having worked as a registered nurse for twelve years prior to entering law, Kate was admitted first as a barrister in Queensland in 1995 and then as a solicitor in the New South Wales Supreme Court in 1997.
Kate has worked in the area of Medical Law during her career, acting for plaintiffs in medical negligence claims. She also acted on behalf and doctors and hospitals. Kate has also worked in an advisory role on medical law issues as in house counsel and has a keen interest in risk management issues in all areas of medical practice.
She considers that together with her team members Bill Madden, Yevgeny Bagrin, Stephanie Paulsen and Aix Johnson, Slater and Gordon New South Wales has the most experienced and qualified medical law practice in Australia.
Working as a team allows the group to analyse the facts of each case against NSW legislation and case law that relates to medical law claims and produce a case theory and strategy for individual clients that will produce results for them.
The combined experience of, in particular Bill Madden and Kate Williams of 52 years means that between these two senior staff members the medial loaw team has access to at least 1000 medical law cases developed and successfully resolved in New South Wales alone. Nationally, the team also has access to information from medical law claims from around the country within Slater and Gordon.
Over her 22 year career Kate has acted on behalf of hundreds of plaintiffs in medical negligence claims. Her special interests within medical claims are claims which involve:
- Stroke medicine and prevention
- Neurosurgical claims
- Emergency Department claims
- Orthopeadic claims
- Ophthalmology claims
- Gynaecological claims
- Plastic Surgery claims
- Medication errors
- Radiology Misdiagnosis
- General Practice claims
- Accredited specialist (2002)
- Medical law
- 2016 Practice Group Leader, Medical Law, Slater and Gordon
- 2007- 2016, Principal Solicitor, Medical Law, Slater and Gordon
- 2000 – 2007, Partner, McClellands Lawyers
- 1998 – 1999, Associate Lawyer, Bernard Collaery and Associates Canberra
- 1996 – 1997, Solicitor, Phillips Fox Lawyers Sydney
- 1996, Solicitor, Minter Ellison Lawyers Brisbane
- 1994 – 1996, Article clerk/solicitor, Attwood & Marshall Solicitors Gold Coast
Memberships and Associations:
Law Society of New South Wales
Professional Qualifications and Admissions:
- 2002 Accredited Specialist Personal Injury
- 1997 Admitted, Supreme Court of NSW as a Solicitor
- 1995 Admitted, Supreme Court of Queensland as a Barrister
- 1994 Bachelor of Laws, University of Technology, Sydney
- 1985 General Certificate in Nursing