Stephen Russell is the Managing Partner of Russells, a specialised corporate and commercial law firm practising in Brisbane and Sydney.
He is a solicitor of the Supreme Courts of Queensland and Victoria; his name is on the roll of the High Court of Australia. Since his admission in 1983, he has practised continuously and exclusively in commercial litigation. He has been called as an expert witness in commercial litigation practice in the Supreme Court of Queensland.
Stephen serves on the Firm’s Advisory Board.
Stephen’s commercial litigation experience includes:
- All aspects of corporate law litigation, including:
- major corporate insolvency litigation
- Australian financial services advice and regulatory infringement claims
- large case bankruptcy litigation
- substantial class action litigation in the Federal Court of Australia
- mergers and acquisitions litigation in the Takeovers Panel and, prior to its establishment, in the State Supreme Courts
- representing public and proprietary company directors in D&O and professional indemnity claims
- professional negligence claims involving engineers, architects, valuers, accountants, auditors and lawyers
- planning and environment appeals, involving engineering, hydrological and other issues
- representing claims managers and loss adjusters in proceedings in the Supreme Court of NSW against the underwriters of a public liability book
- commercial property disputes
- intra company and shareholder disputes
- trading and other trusts
- partnership dissolutions, joint venture disputes
- intellectual property litigation.
In addition to his litigation experience, Stephen has an extensive advisory practice for corporations, their boards, insolvency practitioners, and banks and financiers. He has experience in cross-border insolvency matters, including international insolvencies involving cross-border issues in the UK, USA, Hong Kong, Canada and the Middle East.
Stephen’s commercial property experience includes:
- property joint ventures, trust, financing disputes
- commercial lease disputes
- major infrastructure projects
- specific performance, restitution and other specialty remedies
- valuation negligence; rent review issues.