Billy is based in our Brisbane office. He is experienced in all facets of commercial litigation with a particular emphasis on insolvency law. Billy regularly appears in Federal and State Courts at all levels in commercial litigation matters as an advocate for his clients. His advice extends to enforcement of judgments, through bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings, or where appropriate enforcement hearings and seizure of goods.
Billy is a confident lawyer with a positive attitude and determination to achieve the best possible outcome for his clients.
Recent matter involvement
- Successfully acted for a shareholder for the appointment of a provisional liquidator, and subsequently liquidator, on the grounds that the shareholder’s rights were being oppressed;
- Successfully acted for a liquidator in respect of a $1m+ construction dispute in the Supreme Court of New South Wales;
- Successfully acted on behalf of directors/shareholders seeking the removal of receivers/managers appointed to a group of companies involved in the liquor industry;
- Successfully acted on behalf of 2 plaintiffs in a defamation action. Following a 7 day trial, damages were awarded in plaintiffs’ favour in the sum of $400,000. Permanent injunctions were also made prohibiting the defendant from making similar defamatory publications;
- Successfully acted on behalf of defendant in respect of a partnership dispute claiming debts of over $6 million. Ultimately successfully applied to the Court to have the proceedings dismissed summarily;
- Successfully acted on behalf of a shareholder/director of a tile adhesive manufacturing company seeking to enforce rights re the sale of his shares. Filed application with the Supreme Court of Queensland seeking, inter alia orders for specific performance (matter settled week before hearing with client being paid full amount of claim, plus costs and interest).
- Acting for a client seeking declaratory relief and damages for the unlawful appointment of receivers/managers appointed to a construction company;
- Acting for a liquidator in respect of a circa $1.8 million preference recovery claim against the ATO in the Federal Court of Australia;
- Acted for a controlling trustee with respect to an application under s222 of the Bankruptcy Act 1966 to set aside a PIA;
- Acted for creditor seeking to oppose the passing of a PIA;
- Acted for administrators with respect to an application under section 440A of the Corporations Act;
- Advising insolvency practitioners (administrators, deed administrators, liquidators, controlling trustees and trustees in bankruptcy) as to various matters that arise during the course of an appointment, including the adjudication of proofs of debt, taxation liabilities of companies, rights and obligations under both the Bankruptcy Act and the Corporations Act, recovering voidable transactions, examination of directors and bankrupts, insolvent trading claims, etc;
Qualifications and Memberships
- Roll of Solicitors, Republic of Ireland;
- Roll of Solicitors, England and Wales;
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales;
- Solicitor of the High Court of Australia;
- Member of the Law Society of Ireland;
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales;
- Member of the Queensland Law Society; and
- Member of the Australian Institute of Credit Management.