With over 30 years’ experience in all areas of tax, Mark Douglass is a leader in his field and is uniquely qualified to handle a broad range of taxation matters.
Mark spent 10 years at the ATO and moved through the ranks in Assessments and Advising, Audits, Appeals, Complex Debt Recovery and as a Legal Advisor in the (former) Sales Tax Group. As a result, Mark has gained unmatched knowledge of the ATO’s administrative procedures and policies and has extensive senior level ATO contacts. This has given Mark and his clients a distinct advantage when dealing with the ATO.
Mark is committed to the ongoing development of his expertise in taxation law, has published numerous papers on taxation, litigation, procedure and has lectured at organisations including the Tax Institute of Australia, Institute of Chartered Accountants, Australian Society of CPA’s, Chartered Institute of Company Directors, Law Society of New South Wales and the Business Law Education Centre.
Mark’s areas of expertise include:
- Advising on taxation matters and especially on the conduct and management of taxation audits and investigations.
- Building and Construction Industry taxation matters of all kinds.
- Administrative Law – challenges to ATO decisions including when the ATO exercises its compulsory access powers including 353-10 of the Income Tax Assessment Act.
- Taxation litigation and dispute resolution – conducting taxation appeals on behalf of taxpayers in the AAT and Federal Court.
- Attending investigations/raids at taxpayers’ premises conducted by the Australian Federal Police, ATO, ASIC and Australian Crime Commission.
- Defending prosecutions brought by the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions for Commonwealth Taxation offences.
- Debt Management – negotiations with the collections departments of the ATO including payment arrangements, deferrals and settlements.
- Voluntary Disclosures – making voluntary disclosures to the ATO.
- Extensive experience in foreign government Mutual Assistance requirements and offshore information gathering.
- Extensive experience in managing compulsory examinations conducted by ASIC, ATO, Crime Commission(s) and Royal Commission(s).
- For a number of years Mark was the only lawyer consultant on the ATO Building and Construction Industry Taxation Taskforce Board.
Mark has undertaken work for clients in Switzerland, UK, Belgium, France, Israel, Hong Kong, Singapore, USA and Vanuatu. He has also conducted proceedings on behalf of Australian Taxation Clients in the UK, Switzerland, Belgium and Israel in conjunction with local experts and has extensive experience and contacts in these locations.
Mark’s past clients include a major (foreign owned) international airline, major construction companies, a Swiss private bank, Australian and foreign legal and accounting firms, international models and high net worth individuals an