Michael draws on a wealth of employment and industrial law experience, together with his corporate background, to provide advice and support focused on delivering strong commercial outcomes to facilitate productive workplaces for his clients.
Michael lives the relationship with his clients, who rely on him for everything from advising on the day-to-day employment and industrial relations issues that they face as employers through to representing them in complex and challenging cases.
Michael acts for employers from large global corporations through to SMEs in a diverse range of industries including transport and logistics, maritime services, IT services, consulting/recruitment, professional services, insurance and financial services, retail and supply, building and construction, resources, manufacturing and education. He practices in all aspects of employment and industrial law including:
- employee relations and corporate employment matters
- employment dispute resolution and acting for employers in adverse action, unfair dismissal and discrimination claims
- corporate performance, including organisational change management/restructuring and M&A/transactional employment issues
- industrial relations, including enterprise bargaining, approvals and disputes
- terminations, including the planning of termination of employment strategies
- performance management strategies and workplace investigations
- contractual disputes and breaches of restraints, confidentiality & IP obligations
- employment and executive contracts, policies and training
- Fair Work Act 2009 and Award/Agreement compliance, interpretation and enforcement
- employee entitlements and navigating FWO and regulator investigations
- employee and executive incentives, and
- employment law advisory.
Michael regularly appears in the Fair Work Commission, in State and Federal courts, VCAT and in other jurisdictions. He is a member of the Industrial Relations Society of Victoria, and regularly publishes articles and delivers seminars and webinars on topical employment issues.
Michael is a recommended lawyer for Labour & Employment in the Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020-2023).