Andrew was called to the Bar in 2009 after working as a solicitor and paralegal for 11 years. He holds a Master of Laws (Hons.) from Sydney University as well as an undergraduate Arts/Law degree. He is also a qualified mediator.
Andrew regularly appears unled in the Court of Appeal, as well as in the Supreme Court and Federal courts primarily in corporate, commercial, equity/property, tax and building matters.
He has almost 20 years’ experience in advising mortgagees, mortgagors, insolvency practitioners, builders/property owners and executors. Andrew regularly accepts briefs directly from such persons. His practice is driven by commercial considerations and he always looks to find the most suitable process to achieve the client’s end goal, whether that be through litigation strategy, arbitration or ADR.
Andrew also accepts a large amount of pro bono civil matters from the bar’s Legal Assistance Referral Scheme, the Law Society pro bono solicitor and various volunteer community legal centres. He has also been appointed a number of times by the Court as amicus curiae.
Some noteworthy matters in which Andrew has appeared include:
- Nadinic v Drinkwater (2017) 94 NSWLR 518 (Court of Appeal) – a successful appeal concerning equitable fraud and the specificity required when alleging it
- Hosking v Extend N Build Pty Ltd (2018) 128 ACSR 555(Court of Appeal) – successfully opposed an appeal concerning the recoverability of payments, said to be preferences, made by third parties
- Squire v Squire  NSWCA 90 (Court of Appeal) – a successful appeal against the primary judge’s decision to not award provision under the Succession Act against notional estate of the deceased; claim by former spouse held not to be superior to that of adult children
- In re: Aurora Absolute Return Fund  ATP 14(Takeovers Panel) – successfully opposed application for declaration of unacceptable circumstances
- NSW Commissioner of Police v Rabbits Eat Lettuce Pty Ltd  NSWCA 182 (Court of Appeal) – appeared as amicus curiae; matter involving proper construction of appeal rights under EPA Act
- Potentia3 Pty Ltd (in Liquidation) v Hislop  NSWSC 323 (Supreme Court) – recovery of director’s loan where entitlement to wages alleged
- In the matter of RMATA Cutelli Pty Ltd (in liq)  NSWSC 382 (Supreme Court) – matter concerning both voidable transactions and resulting trusts
- In the matter of Cannuli Holdings Pty Ltd (in liq) (Court-appointed receiver acting)  NSWSC 1562(Supreme Court) – matter involving numerous trusts and the ambit of a Court-appointed receiver’s powers
- In the matter of AJ Roberts Removals & Storage Pty Limited  NSWSC 1054 (Supreme Court – pro bono) – oppression suit
- Mansfield as liquidator of Camperdown Bowling Club Limited v Townend  NSWDC 370 (District Court – pro bono) – successful defence of a 588 claim by a liquidator (primary judgment was appealed and then the appeal was discontinued by consent)
- Attorney General of New South Wales v Homeland Community Ltd  NSWCA 15 (Court of Appeal – pro bono) – successfully opposed an appeal concerning an alleged charitable trust settled in the 1970s and whether cy pres scheme should have been ordered