Thomas is a Senior Associate in the Business Law team and specialises in state taxation advice and litigation.
Prior to commencing at Sladen Legal, Thomas spent a number of years working as a solicitor in the Legal Services Branch of the State Revenue Office of Victoria, where he conducted litigation on behalf of the Commissioner of State Revenue in various state taxation matters.
Thomas continues to draw on his experience at the State Revenue Office of Victoria as well as in private practice by specialising in state taxation matters.
Thomas’ practice ranges from providing advice, application for exemptions and concessions, representation in investigations, reviews, and litigation with the various State Revenue Offices in Australia.
Thomas prides himself on being able to distil complex taxation issues into easily understandable snippets of information which are specifically tailored for the particular proclivities and needs of each client.
Thomas’s principal practice areas are:
- Windfall Gains Tax
– Taxable value uplift
– Deferral provisions
– Exemptions and waivers
– Objection (Valuation and other grounds)
- Land Tax
– Primary production land
– Absentee Owner Surcharge
– Vacant residential land tax
– Principal place of residence
– Trust surcharge
– Foreign purchaser additional duty surcharge
– Dutiable transactions
– Duty exemptions and concessions
– Landholder provisions
– Common law employees
– Relevant contract provisions
– Employment agency provisions
– Leviable parking space
– Exemptions and concessions
– Assessments and re-assessments
– Private rulings
– Objections, reviews, and appeals